Over the last 68 years, the Electric Ballroom has come to epitomise all that is Camden Town. Its history dates back to the 1930’s when, Bill Fuller, took it over and opened it up as The Buffalo Club. After the Camden Town Tube (and part of the Buffalo) was bombed in 1941, Bill literally bought the bombsite and built the site into a ballroom which could hold 2,000 people.
By the late 1950’s, Bill Fuller was building a chain of ballrooms in England, Ireland and America which included the Palladium in New York and Fillmore West in San Francisco. In the 1970’s some big rock names including Paul McCartney’s Wings, Led Zeppelin, Gary Glitter, The Clash and Frank Zappa.In 1978, the name of the venue was changed from The Carousel to the Electric Ballroom. The Electric Ballroom launched on July 28 1978, with the Greedies, an all-star band made up of members of Thin Lizzy, Sex Pistols, Rainbow for the opening. Over the years, innumerate legendary acts have played classic shows at the Ballroom The Specials, Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Madness and The Selecter,Joy Division Adam & The Ants, Echo & The Bunnymen, B52’s, Talking Heads, The Clash, The Cramps, U2, Nick Cave, The Smiths and many many more.
In 2004, Electric Ballroom won a lengthy public enquiry battle to save the Ballroom against compulsory purchase for London Underground and property development with the help of musicians such as Bob Geldof, Graham Coxon and others. However, our future is still uncertain as London Underground is currently working on a new proposal. It is possible the fight to save this part of Camden’s character and its musical heritage will continue.
184 Camden Hight Street
London NW1 8QP
Tel:020 7485 9006
CC14 Opening Times:
Fri: 3:00am & Saturday: 10:30pm
Phone / email venue for details